Thursday, April 10, 2014

Bathtubs

Until I starting looking for a bathtub for my master bathroom, I never thought about the number of choices that are available.

Using a single manufacturer as an example:
Kohler makes alcove tubs, corner tubs, drop-in tubs, under-mount tubs and freestanding tubs.


I seriously considered a free standing tub, but didn't think about it until after the slab had been poured. At this stage, it is still possible, but I have decided against it for a few reasons. Since this will not be an alcove tub or corner tub, I can mark those off my list as well.

I'm looking at drop-ins and under-mounts. I still have to narrow that down, but there are over 200 drop-in tubs to wade through.

We want a tub to stretch out in, I'll look at 72" or longer, which still gives me over 70 choices.  I can eliminate the whirlpool tubs, which narrows the choices even more.

But do I choose an air-jetted tub, chromatheraphy tub, heated tub, hydrotherapy, or a combination of those? Right now, I need to spend some time to figure out the best tub for the space and what will work best for us.

Oh, did I mention the drain is on one end of the space? If I have a tub with a center drain, it will have to be elevated just a bit so the drain pipe can snake underneath to the floor drain. That presents a whole different concern. Will that make the tub too tall to enter and exit safely?

How did I get myself into this? There are just too many varibles to consider for my mind to wrap itself around this project. I know I'll get there eventually, but need this done sooner than later.

UPDATE: January 9, 2017
We chose an air-jet tub with heated back. The tub drain is placed at the end that was plumbed for the drain pipe. Faucets are on the same end for easy access in case of future repairs.

More details:   Avoiding expensive plumbing repairs

No comments :

Post a Comment