Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sweet memories

If I felt like singing Joy To the World on March 24, I'm singing the Hallelujah Chorus now. A truck pulled up to unload our doors while I was at our house today.


I couldn't believe it when I saw the transom that will be above our front door. The more I look at it, the more excited I become. 

It might not look like anything amazing to anyone else, but I'm so thrilled. The poor CAD designer at the shop was probably nuts because we kept rejecting everything he sent to us for approval. We kept sending back the same instructions. I finally drew what we wanted with pen and paper and the builder sent it to the designer.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words, because we got the sixth revision back and it was exactly what we had been asking for. This afternoon I sent a text (with photo) to my husband, our designer, builder and project manager, telling them "It is GORGEOUS!!!"  Now I can't wait for my husband to see this window.

Two of our long-time neighbors have arched transoms over their front doors. When we started the plans for this new house, I kept admiring these two windows. Both ladies graciously allowed me to photograph their windows to share with the builder and architect. I didn't want to copy my neighbors, but loved their windows so much I wanted to figure out something that was similar yet not an exact copy of either one. While we brainstormed different ideas, my husband and I began to notice the transoms of other homes, especially the one at Boone Hall. We finally found the perfect solution with a window reminiscent of our neighbors, but unique. The minute I saw the window today I thought of two wonderful couples we have lived by for almost twenty-seven years.  I'll miss this street that my children grew up on, but maybe this window and a few others things are helping keep the sweet memories close by.

No comments :

Post a Comment