Monday, December 15, 2014

"Perfect" stains

mis·no·mer
misˈnōmər/
noun
noun: misnomer; plural noun: misnomers
a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.
"“king crab” is a misnomer—these creatures are not crustaceans at all"

inaccurate name/label/designation, wrong name/label/designation, inappropriate name/label/designation
"scientists say “killer whale” is a misnomer for what is one of the gentlest marine creatures known to man"


I find myself wondering if there is any "perfect stain" or if the idea is simply a misnomer. I pause when I think of the color navy. How many different shades of navy have we all seen? I lost count years ago! 

Yet paint isn't affected by the type of wood, but by the lighting in a particular space. 
Light plays with stain results as well, since stain in a light filled kitchen will appear different from the same stain in a dark study with minimal lighting.  In addition to lighting,  the type of wood is a major factor in the finished stained product.

So my current task has been to find "perfect stains" for both the study and for the wood flooring.

To compound the question, these two stains will need to complement each other in the study. I have not found this task to be fun OR easy.
I am currently debating (with myself) on two pieces of wood that might work. We discovered a stain we like in Pier 1. While digging through floor-sample bins in a big-box store, I came across a stain color that is neither too dark or too light. It might provide a good background for darker furnishings.

After being told by multiple friends that I don't want dark wood floors, I started looking for lighter finishes. We don't want to go too light and become contemporary, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere. I am still not certain about this shade for the flooring, but I do like the contrast. I love a restored floor some friends have in their home. The stain color does not show every speck of dust, and adds character to the overall design of their home.

For now, I am anxious to get this decision made and move to the next project. Wish me luck?






No comments :

Post a Comment