Friday, December 12, 2014

Thoughtful consideration

As I search for light fixtures, I find myself torn between the look of traditional brass chandeliers like many historic homes used, or the more updated finishes readily available today. If I knew which direction the design pendelum would swing five or ten years from now, this decision might be easier. I don't want to be the only one with brass, but I also don't want to be the only one with oil rubbed bronze.


I'm told that brass is making a big comeback. That's "great news" because I love brass. But not so great news because I decided on oil rubbed bronze hinges. Mix the two? It's possible, but I am not at that point yet. I'm just totally uncertain which way to go with light fixtures.

Meanwhile, on my journey through stores, websites and catalogs, I have found some "fun" light fixtures that would never work in my house, but cause me to pause for a minute and study how they are put together. These reminded me of a lesson my designer reinforces.

LEARNING TO SHOP
When going into a large department store, we narrow our search to the department(s) that are home to what we are looking for. The lady's dress department is not a factor when we are shopping for jeans.
Likewise: When shopping for things for our homes, we have to narrow our search to items that work in our spaces, ignoring those items that are not workable. 
While I haven't settled on light fixtures, I have discovered some fun lights that cause me to stop and study how they are put together. It took me several minutes to realize all the tea cups in the first photo were hanging on hooks and could be removed. I didn't spend the time to see if this light came with these tea cups, or if the home owner hangs her own cups. It doesn't matter though because this charming chandelier would not fit in my home.   
My first thought when seeing this light fixture, was how to clean the dust from invading the tiny spaces. Another light fixture that is very unique, just not my style.

If I had a modern loft, this might be perfect. It reminds me of New Year's Eve parties. I wonder how it would translate year around.

Now I continue searching through the myraid of websites, catalogs and stores in search of the perfect lighting for our home. 

No comments :

Post a Comment