Monday, February 16, 2015

Matching stain

I'm not sure I've ever shopped for stain colors in the manner we did for this room.


After making a short list of stores nearby that sell stained pieces of furniture and accessories, we visited Sherwin-Williams, Ethan Allen, Kirkland's, Pier 1, plus others. Instead of looking for furniture, we were looking at the stains on various pieces. The first stains we found that we liked were at Ethan Allen. However, I was hesitant to check out their sample boards and risk getting them damaged, knowing I had to leave the boards with the painters.

Pier I Plantation Storage
Cabinet in Mahogany Brown
That meant we had to continue our search until we discovered a small collection of furniture at Pier I that contains only eight pieces in a limited number of finishes. The mahogany brown caught my husband's attention and we were able to order a small stain sample on an actual board. After agreeing this was perfect for the space, we shared the sample with the painters who soon provided with a great match. (It wasn't on the first try, so patience became a virtue when trying to get the color we wanted.) Although the photos on this page look like completely different colors, at least they do on my computer monitor, the results are actually very close.

We wanted to use blue in the rooms just outside this space so Lauren had suggested using Duron's Historic Charleston Hunley for both areas. We added a light grey for the this ceiling since we wanted to soften it with all the stain in the room.

Every time I walk into this room my mind thinks "Ralph Lauren" because of the rich color combination. Our goal had been to make the room masculine without being too dark, which I'm thankful we were able to achieve.

No comments :

Post a Comment