Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What's in a name?


Lauren made a suggestion that has been most helpful. "We'll call each room by the name it is called on the floor plan." When she mentioned this plan, I never realized how important it would become. With a floor plan laying on a make-shift table and now on the kitchen island, anyone can look to know exactly which room we are talking about when we mention a name.


One vendor kept calling a space by the wrong name on his bid and his invoices. Although I knew what he was talking about, his installers did not realize that and didn't know where to install a specific item. When I mentioned to him that we needed to change the name on his records to the actual name for the room, his response was "is there a room in your house by the name I'm using?"

I wanted to tell him not to "sass me," but instead I told him there IS actually another room with that name. He finally changed the name.
Photo source unknown
It can help to keep confusion down if you simply make a habit of calling each room by it's architect-assigned-name while the house is being built. After you move in you can call the rooms anything you want to call them. No one will be the wiser.

No comments :

Post a Comment