Monday, March 21, 2016

Don't forget storage for books

Charles William Eliot (1834-1926) is credited with sharing that "Books are the quietest and most constant friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors. and the most patient of teachers."



The Biltmore library never fails to take my breathe away when I walk into the cavernous hall. How anyone could amass such a volume of books is more than I can  grasp.

Walking through the library prompts my mind to wonder how many of these books Charles Vanderbilt actually read or used. Did he, like me, just have a problem passing up an interesting book?  Yet Vanderbilt had loads more cash in his library budget than I have in mine.

Nevertheless, I firmly believe that every home should have a collection of well-chosen books available to read. Whether large or small, a home library has multiple ramifications, one of which is child literacy.

My "hidden" bookcase
Since we incorporated features of Charleston homes and other historic homes into our floor plans, we insisted on having enough space for a modest collection of books. One noticeable feature of the Charleston homes we've visited is a presence of bookshelves, some homes having more than others. Yet every home seemed to have at least some type of book collection that made a substantial statement; which made me realize that we needed a place to store our modest collection of books.

My husband's study has bookcases, as does the great room. Before our plans were finalized, my designer and I went on a last minute search to find any possible spot to add another bookcase. There was a small corner in a hallway that was the perfect spot for a cabinet. It's tucked out of sight unless I'm leaving the master bedroom, yet it's easy to access when looking for a book.

Bookcases of any type are important to bring into a home. The books we add to the shelves tell more about us than the design of our homes. Let me peruse the bookshelves in a person's home and it's easy to catch a glimpse of what is important to them.


No comments :

Post a Comment