Monday, March 21, 2016

Grand daughters and hair bows

We have a new grand baby, a second precious little girl. The mother of these angels loves to use hair bows, so (in my opinion) the baby "needed"a holder for her future hair bow collection. Since I was making the holder to match the colors in the baby's room, big sister needed a holder that matched her room as well.


We found ribbon that coordinates with the colors of their bedding. After gathering the supplies, it probably took less than 30 minutes to make two bow holders. Directions for these holders are below:

SUPPLIES

Ribbon for each holder - at least 3 feet per holder. (If hung on the wall, the ribbon can be longer.)
Circle holder for hanging
Large hair bow or embellishment to add to the top
Iron-on hem tape (optional)

Needle and thread or sewing machine
Hot glue gun
Iron

STEP ONE

I choose two coordinating ribbons for each holder. The wider ribbon for the back.
The more narrow ribbon at the front. 


Grand daughter #1 has a beautiful room with black/white


Granddaughter #2 has a equally beautiful room with grey and navy;
chevron and polka dots

STEP TWO

I have used round plastic holders that come on fashion scarves. Since
we recently moved, I couldn't find my stash of scarf holders. I found these 2" brass
rings at JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts in the jewelry section.



STEP THREE

Cut the loose end of the ribbon straight across.
Fold back about an inch. Press
(I ironed hem tape inside this hem)



Fold again to hide the raw edge


Repeat Step Three for the second ribbon

STEP FOUR

Center the narrow ribbon on top of the wider ribbon.
The "folds" will both be at the back.



STEP FIVE

Slide the holder between the wrong sides of the large ribbon and the folded part. 


STEP SIX

Stitch (by machine or hand) across the width of the ribbon,
BEING CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE NEEDLE HIT THE HOLDER.


STEP SEVEN

Hot glue or sew the embellishment or bow onto the holder. 


 The lace "flower" was found at Hobby Lobby. It is a lamp shade embellishment. Since the lace is so soft, I used spray starch to give it some "bulk."  I sprayed the starch, played with the layers with my fingers, and left it to dry. I repeated this 3 or 4 more times until the flowers were like I wanted them. When totally dry, I hot glued it to the holder, leaving a space open at the top to use for hanging.

These can be hung on the wall with a simple picture holder, or hung on a hook on the closet rod.

No comments :

Post a Comment