Thursday, August 25, 2016

Success desperately needed here

GARDENING

My husband always tells the kids and I to “keep sucking until you do succeed.” (credit: Little Rascals) I’m wondering how long I have to “suck” before the “succeed” part kicks in.
Last summer the landscape company for our new home built a small raised garden per our conversations. I was excited! In our previous house, most of the yard was under the shade of huge trees so that was no hope. Because I was busy moving, I let the landscaper pick out what he planted. I had cabbage to supply friends, herbs to share with friends, and broccoli that didn’t get the care it needed to produce much. Winter over, spring came along.

I planted some tomatoes, cucumbers, and I forget what else. About 2 weeks later, the landscapers brought new plants with spring color to the yard. The yard looked hopeful again after the spent annuals from winter were gone. Then I checked on my garden. It was empty. The crew had pulled up all the plants, thinking they were the “leftovers” from winter.

There was actually only one “leftover,” a head of cabbage I had saved for my daughter-in-law. It was gone! I was thankful I cooled down before contacting the landscape company.  J  They promised to replace the plants, but brought what they wanted to plant, none of which did any good. By this time the brutal Houston heat had kicked in. The only plant that produced this summer was a cantaloupe.
We had the most beautiful (only one) cantaloupe that we watched carefully, even though neither of us likes cantaloupe. We were saving it for our daughter-in-law. This was going to be GOOD because it looked perfect. As it was beginning to ripen, the heavy rains came and it split open. I discovered it last weekend and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. “Hadn’t I just been out here last night to check on you?”



Yesterday I did my morning “check” to see what my once formally “prized” cantaloupe looked like. I wanted to cry/scream/yell, none of which I did. One of the neighborhood critters had decided to eat the melon. The entire top half was open, with the insides scooped out.  I hadn’t thought the melon would get any worse, but was obviously wrong.
Last night, with a trash bag In hand, I pulled up the half-eaten cantaloupe and all the vine to put in the trash can by the curb since today is trash day.

Now I realize my fall cucumbers (yes, because of the heat in Houston) and lettuce are all now peaking up from the soil. I am out to look for a sign that tells people to stay out of my garden. And I’m investing in netting to put over the plants. Hopefully someday, my daughter-in-law will actually get something from this garden. After all, she keeps getting food promised to her, and then it disappears behind our backs. This “sucking” part on the way to “success” is definitely not fun! 

No comments :

Post a Comment